What's For Dinner?

I teach a cooking class that's called What's For Dinner? Students spend about 30 minutes learning what I stock in my pantry, refrigerator and freezer - including how I organize it and why I keep certain things on hand - then select from the stuff they see to create a menu which we all cook together and eat. It's one of my most popular classes because it's what many people struggle with when they come home from work - what am I going to make that's tasty out of what I see here?
So this post is actually a little test for you readers out there. Here's what I had the other night - these veggies from my CSA farm...
...plus a good chunk of this cheese...
...and plenty of fresh basil. I also had a ton of boneless chicken breasts that I had ordered from my Dallas at Eastern Plains Natural Foods. What would you have made? Let me know then I'll tell you what I did!

3 comments:

Kristilyn (The Domestic Goddess) said...

Hmm ... stuffed chicken (with cheese and basil) with a side of steamed veggies is what I would done! Maybe even slice that tomato in half, top it with the cheese and basil and bake that, too. Mmm. :-)

K

Cooking with Michele said...

Thanks for the idea Kristilyn - I'm disappointed that more folks didn't wiegh in with ideas, but that just reinforces why so many people lik when I do a what's For Dinner? cooking class. I actually made a pasta dish with all of the veggies and chicken slices, tossed with a lightened cheese sauce I made with 1% milk and Parmigiano (I make it for Operation Frontline when I'm teaching healthy cooking on a budget and it's really quite good!).

pvl said...

you know I was going to try coming up with something, but I'm so visually oriented I did not notice that Chicken was in the mix (no picture) and then I was wondering whether I could use pasta (not in the list) and ...

lol! (so I'm neurotic, sue me!)

I was thinking along the lines of baked/roasted tomato and zucchini with Parmesan and garlic, and then steamed and/or lightly sautéed beens and carrots with a balsamic dressing.

But -- it was tough! A blank white page! Scary!

(yes, this is my biggest issue -- what to do with what I have, or the flip side: how to plan/shop for few days without spending 40 hours of work doing it)

lol!

Post a Comment