Easy Homemade Pickles

I had a thought last summer that's worth sharing - making pickles doesn't have to be a cumbersome process involving canning equipment and water baths. When I was a little overloaded with small cucumbers from my CSA farm I decided to make a quick pickle - not sure this is technically correct, but it worked for me!
I simply save the picking liquid from a large jar of dill pickles over the winter, then when summer arrives, I immerse cucumber slices into a jar (I save spaghetti sauce jars as they are perfect for this) with some of the leftover juice along with some whole black peppercorns, a couple of whole cloves of garlic, and a sprig of fresh dill. Cover the jar and let everything stand in the refrigerator for a week or two and voila - you'll have a quick pickle that's slightly less acidic than store bought dill pickles, and infinitely more crunchy. I let some kids in one of my cooking classes taste test them last summer and they were a huge hit. Give it a try!

2 comments:

Shelly Borrell said...

Just the information I was looking for. I bought some pickling cucumbers and didn't want to go through the whole canning process. I'm gonna give a variation of this a try by making do with what I have. I love your saved spaghetti jar idea. I'm going to post about my experience on Nibbles of Tidbits and link to you. Thanks :)

Cooking with Michele said...

Shelly, I was just sampling the batch I made last week using this technique - they're great! You'll get a less "strong", less salty pickle - a nice variation!

Post a Comment