Green Tomato Bread

I usually think of green tomato recipes late into the harvest season when it's not warm enough or sunny enough during the day to ripen those remaining green tomatoes on the vine. But I have so many green tomatoes growing on my tomato plants right now that it's tempting to go ahead and pick a few to make this delicious bread. It's similar to a zucchini bread in that it's packed with vegetables that you'd never know are there (another one of those great ways to sneak things in for picky eaters).
You can freeze the puree in measure quantities at the end of the summer so that you'll have this ready when needed to make this moist bread. I make the recipe with part Splenda to keep the sugar content down, but you can use all sugar instead. Same with the nonfat yogurt - use whatever type you like or even sour cream which gives it a nice tang.

Click here for a printable copy of this recipes.

Green Tomato Bread
Yields 2 loaves (about 20 servings)

1/2 cup canola oil
8 ounces nonfat yogurt, plain
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup Splenda (or use all sugar)
2 cups green tomatoes, pureed, juice drained and discarded
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two loaf pans. Combine oil, yogurt, eggs, sugar, Splenda and green tomatoes in a large bowl and mix well. Sift together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices and add to wet ingredients along with the whole wheat flour. Stir together just until combined. Divide evenly between two prepared pans and bake just until a toothpick comes clean from the center of the bread, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pans, then remove. To retain moisture, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. May be frozen.

14 comments:

Trish said...

I was wondering...do you have a photo of the bread? I was wondering just what it might look like. Also...please please tell me...how do you get that 'print' widget. I so need that on my blog!

oneordinaryday said...

I've never heard of using green tomatoes in bread. What a clever idea.

finsmom said...

Such a creative sounding bread! Yum!

foodcreate said...

Grand Idea! I love green tomatoes. I have never heard of this but I'm going to try it !

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Welcome~~~
http://foodcreate.com
Join, our growing food cummunity and post your comments, share your ideas and recipe.
And if you can visit me I can visit you!

Have a great sunny Day!

Kevin said...

I like the sound of a green tomato bread!

Tracey said...

My tomatoes all came down with late blight, and as a result I had to pick them while still green. I certainly wasn't up for frying that many green tomatoes, and just when I thought they were going to go to waste, I found your recipe. I just made it, and it was delicious! I also made some muffins with the batter, which cooked up nicely in about 20 minutes. Thanks so much for sharing!

Cooking with Michele said...

Tracey, so glad you enjoyed the recipe. At the end of the season I grind up any freeze any leftover green tomatoes that I wasn't able to get ripened before the frost and then make the bread during the winter, so if you have extras, give that a try!

lilbird said...

Do you peel the tomatoes or blanch them first?

Cooking with Michele said...

lilbird, I haven't made this since a year ago, but as I recall I just pureed them in a food processor in their entirety, like I do with zucchini for zucchini bread.

BeeARawFoodie said...

I just linked to this post in my blog and credited you with the awesome green maters picture. With the cold and (snow!) this weekend we were all in a hustle to put away garden hoses, harvest all that we could, and grieve. We may have been robbed of our warm autumn days and prolonged growing season, but we are celebrating all the bags of rescued green tomatoes. I spent three hours cutting and dicing them all and am glad I did. This dessert bread is a comfort food as we watch the icy forecast!

Cooking with Michele said...

BeeARawFoodie - thanks for the link. I've done quite a few green tomato recipes recently - green tomato chili, coconut chicken stew with green tomatoes, green tomato relish. You can find them if you scroll back through the last week or two posts!

Ma said...

Thank you for this interesting recipe! I'll be trying it by the end of the week.

AmandaAsABee said...

I have just found your link to this bread recipe and it is delicious. I did a blog posting about it posting photos of my attempts. Thank you so much for your recipe! It was most helpful to use some of my plethora of tomatoes.

Cooking with Michele said...

AmandaAsABee - glad you enjoyed it! I'd love to see your photos of the recipe, but I can't seem to find it on your blog - can you send me the link?

Post a Comment